Tuesday Update：Pikmin Trademark, Pokémon Direct, Switch Pro Rumours, Plus More News！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. applied for four new merchandising trademarks with Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and The Legend of Zelda. Pikmin is the odd series out with no merchandising line at Nintendo TOKYO and no game to promote. Check out the actual application an this post.
● A Pokémon Direct was announced for 09 January (global times here) with 20 minutes of new information. No titles were confirmed to be covered, although at least Pokémon Home, Pokémon Sleep, and the Switch version of Detective Pikachu are expected.
● A DigiTimes report from yesterday claims that a new Nintendo Switch with a better CPU and magnesium alloy body will be released in mid-2020. The company’s track record is inconsistent at best, although numerous indications are that a new and improved Nintendo Switch model will come at some point.
● Fire Emblem: Three Houses won the 2019 Japanese Nintendo game of the year voted for by 87 readers. Check out the full top 10 here and the full list of 2019 awards here with the other eight awards (Switch game, 3DS game, eShop game, smart device game, hardware, developer, publisher, and character) voted for by myself.
● An update to one of yesterday’s lead stories – Nintendo apologised for their ambiguous language that implied that today’s maintenance was for a system update. They meant to say the system couldn’t be updated during the maintenance period!
● Nintendo announced that Super Mario Maker 2 now has over 10 million user courses uploaded and the individual limit upped from 64 to 100. The third Ninji Speedrun begins in a few hours with a dedicated post expected once live.
● Konami updated CONTRA ROGUE CORPS again adding the “Unstable Anomaly Area Finale” Exploration Mission and more detailed at here along with the update trailer.
● Sega updated Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD to Version 1.03 fixing a few issues detailed here.
● Teyon Japan announced they will be looking to publish their first packaged game in Japan in 2020.
● I posted artwork from Toriko in Void Terrarium in various states of disease here.
● Teyon Japan are also set to announce a digital title later this month with their subsidiary, Digital Bards, announcing a new release tomorrow.
● G-mode updated the Japanese version of Minna de Kuuki Yomi ( KUUKIYOMI: Consider It!) to Version 1.0.3 adding English, Chinese, and Korean language support.
● Dr. Mario World updated to Version 1.2.2fixing issues with Battle Box rewards and with Dr. Baby Rosalina’s skill.
● Fire Emblem Heroes will see Forging Bonds: Beyond Blood begin on 09 January along with New Heroes (Heir of Light) featuring Shannan: Wielder of Astra, Altena: Luminous Rider, Ced: Hero on the Wind, and Larcei: Keen Kin. Introduction video posted here with official artwork to follow. Today saw Mjölnir’s Strike: Counter phase begin.
● Weekly Famitsu review scores include Sacred Stones with 27/40, Zombie Driver: Immortal Edition with 30/40, Untitled Goose Game with 33/40, Hexagroove: Tactical DJ with 27/40, Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition with 31/40, and Sir Eatsalot with 27/40. Check out the full list of review scores here.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. (7974.T) stock increased today by +200 (0.47%) in Japan to close trading for the day at 42,940.00 JPY.
● Novectacle confirm that the visual novel The House in Fata Morgana – Dreams of the Revenants Edition – will be coming to Nintendo Switch in North America and Europe, with a Japanese version expected but unconfirmed at present.
● Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories was announced for western release on Switch, PS4, and PC on 07 April. Gameplay trailer posted here.
● Sony announced that there are 103 million monthly active users of PlayStation Network as of December, total worldwide sales for PlayStation 4 have exceeded 106 million units, and posted the PlayStation 5 logo here.
● PlatinumGames big 2020 announcement is a partnership with and cash investment by Tencent Holdings Limited. PlatinumGames will remain an independent label and hope to self-publish in the future.
● HAL Laboratory have released a set of Quby Greeting Stickers for the game BOX BOY! with stickers pictured here.
● The release date here for JACK JEANNE (which releases on 05 August).
● Thanks to Brion Furnell Creative for design, Naruki for news tips, BlackKite for translations, anonymous for support, and to everybody for following. Please also check out my Toad fansite, follow me on Twitter, and buy me a coffee!