Late Friday Update：Pokémon Duel Ending, Original DOOM Launches, Touhou Luna Nights Announced, Plus More News！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
Apologies for the late update. With Pokémon Masters set for launch next month, The Pokémon Company are pulling the plug for Pokémon Duel (Pokémon Co-master in Japan) after a little over three and a half years service. In-app purchases have been removed with any funds left over to be refunded when the service ends.
● Koei Tecmo Games have updated Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World to Version 1.09 adding Traditional Chinese and Hangul text support, plus minor bug fixes.
● NBA 2K20 will be getting a demo in Japan on 21 August with player data transferable over to the full game which is available on 06 September.
● And check out a Japanese magazine advert for AI: The Somnium Files here.
● In a surprise: Bethesda Softworks published the original DOOM trilogy on the Switch eShop worldwide although only DOOM (1993) and DOOM II (Classic) made it to the Japanese eShop. Prices are ¥580 each. A catch is that a Bethesda account is needed to play.
● Team Ladybug announced they are porting the Touhou Project 2D Metroidvania game Touhou Luna Nights to Nintendo Switch later in 2019. Check out four promo videos for the game here.
● Z.D. Network announced a remake of the strategy RPG Code Name: Bakery Girl for Switch release this year now called Reverse Collapse: Code Name Bakery (or “Gyaku Collapse (Panya Sakusen)” in Japan). Check out the promo video here.
● Freestyle Games announced the hide-and-seek action game Obakeidoro！ will release on the Japanese Switch eShop next week (01 August) priced at ¥1,980, with a western release confirmed for the future. Introduction video posted here.
● Fire Emblem: Three Houses was the best-selling Nintendo eShop game for the past week in preloads alone with Rune Factory 4 Special the highest new entry. Check out the top 10 for both Switch and 3DS here.
● In Network Maintenance Information: Nintendo Switch, 3DS, and Wii U will be undergoing maintenance from around 09:00-13:00 JST on 30 July (17:00-21:00 PT on 29 July). During maintenance, the eShop will not be available.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp saw Katrina come to visit with Katrina’s fortune tent now cartable in-game. Check out pictures of her here.
● Dragalia Lost saw the Gala Dragalia event along with three are Summon Vouchers. High Jupiter’s Trial was also added to the Advanced Dragon Trials. Check out featured adventurer Cleo, and the introduction video for Gala Dragalia here.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw New Hero Byleth: Tested Professor join the battle providing you have purchased Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Check out the introduction video here. All players also receive five free Orbs. Grand Conquests also returned featuring Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude from Three Houses.
● A new set of My Nintendo rewards include physical goods for Fire Emblem: Three Houses with posters, reversible sleeve, notebook, and masking tape. Check out the full list with pictures here and our dedicated page featuring every reward currently available in Japan here.
● Nintendo announced in-store events in Chiba and Kyoto in August with Luigi’s Mansion 3, Super Mario Maker 2, and TETRIS 99 all playable. All visitors will receive an original fan and anyone who plays the above games will receive an original notebook (pictured here).
● Nintendo also posted pictures and videos from last month’s Nintendo Labo Hackathon 2019 event here.
● Next week’s Issue (No.1600) of Weekly Famitsu will be a 16-bit special with over 80 pages featuring 160 Super Famicom and Mega Drive games. Issue No.1604 will also have a Mother Series 30th Anniversary feature. Fill in the survey (in Japanese) here.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares increased today by +40 (0.10%) in Japan to close trading for the week at 40,2200.00 JPY. There’s also a new position for “Long-term Internship for Web Application Development” here.
● Hokuto Okamoto of Square-Enix announced that the western version of Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition has gone gold and the game will launch worldwide on 27 September.
● Chiyomaru Studio have purchased all existing shares of MAGES. from Dwango and Kadokawa with the business brand 5pb. to merge with MAGES. for the games, movies and music businesses. Read the full press release (in Japanese) here.
● Kenichiro Taka and Marvelous announced Kandagawa Jet Girls for undisclosed platform(s). A livestream will air on YouTube, niconico, and Periscope on 01 August at 20:00-22:00 JST. The website will then open here.
● A new series of Super Mario Travel Goods were released by Nintendo Sales Co., Ltd including an absolutely awesome Lakitu hanger pouch. Check out the full list of items with prices and more importantly, Pictures, at this post.
● The English version of the new ASTRAL CHAIN introduction video (now called Action trailer) here.
● The first promo video for Bokuhime PROJECT here.
● The second promo video for Arc of Alchemist for Nintendo Switch here.
● A Pokémon Sword／Shield “Galar research update” trailer from Nintendo UK here.
● A character promo video for Shinobi Spirits S Sanada Juuyuushiden (Ninja Battle Heroes) here.
● The second promo video for Omega Labyrinth Life and Labyrinth Life here.
● A Phantasy Star Online 2 7th Anniversary update “Phantasy Star Thanksgiving Day 2019 ONLINE” introduction movie part 3 here.
● And the 16th episode for Dragalia Lost Radio Garden here.
● Thanks to Naruki for news tips, BlackKite for translations, Brion Furnell Creative for design, and to everybody for following. Please also check out my new Toad fansite, follow me on Twitter @japaneseswitch, and please buy me a coffee!