Wednesday Update：Yo-kai Watch 4 Scores 37/40 And Opens With 150k, Plus Much More News！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
Yokai Watch 4 received high praise in its Weekly Famitsu review, scoring 37/40 from its four reviewers, with one awarding it a 10. The critical success didn’t necessarily translate over to commercial success however as the entry debuted with a little over 150,000 units sold, a far cry from the almost 1.3 million of the second game…
● Such a huge drop in sales for Yo-kai Watch 4 was inevitable due to the decline in popularity of the series, but there are few third party Switch games that could open with such a high number. Whether there’s some correlation between the high praise for the game, and long-term sales has yet to determined. The game not shifting Nintendo Switch hardware (it dropped by upwards of 5,000) was certainly a disappointment, but is not altogether unexpected due to the nationwide promotion running from 27 June where purchased consoles will come with a ¥3,000 ($28) coupon for a limited time which can be used to purchase digital software.
● Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will see the Metroid Mania spirit event begin this Friday featuring Queen Metroid, Metroid, Omega Ridley, and more detailed here. Masahiro Sakurai also talks about the latest two DLC characters in this week’s Weekly Famitsu column including saying he found it easy to deal with both Microsoft and Rare. Read more from the man himself here.
● GungHo finally confirmed that GRANDIA HD Collection (which consists of GRANDIA HD Remaster and GRANDIA II HD Remaster) will be coming to Japan, although likely after the western release. Trailer added here.
● Nintendo updated Splatoon 2 to Version 4.9.0 with some changes to certain weapons, subs, and specials, along with several bug fixes. Read the full patch notes here.
● Eiji Aonuma went into more depth about the Chamber Dungeons feature and more in The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening which is posted here.
● IGN spoke with ASTRAL CHAIN Director Takahisa Taura who said the game is being planned as a trilogy (but the second and third games are dependant upon sales of the first game), and that no additional content is planned for the game.
● Rune Factory 4 Special will see “Another Episode” DLC with voice drama for 12 characters and which will be free until 26 August, then ¥700. The game is also available to preload priced at ¥4,840 until 07 August (and then going to ¥5,378). Check out today’s livestream here.
● Hamster’s only game this week is the Nintendo maze game Arcade Archives CLU CLU LAND which is due on 28 June priced at ¥823. Screenshots posted here. The company also revealed the 1989 Irem shoot ’em up X Multiply as “coming soon” to the eShop.
● Annapurna Interactive announced the acclaimed adventure game What Remains of Edith Finch will be coming to the Japanese Switch eShop next week (04 July) priced at ¥2,200. It’s expected to be worldwide due to the game supporting English.
● TINY METAL: FULL METAL RUMBLE will release in the west on 11 July with a demo scheduled for the 8th. The Japanese release, called Tiny Metal Kyokou no Teikoku, will be published by DELiGHTWORKS and will be priced at ¥1,800. The release date could well be the same as the west but is not official. Check out the latest trailer here.
● MOSS’s second shoot ’em up for July (after Caladrius Blaze), Raiden V Director’s Cut, is set to launch in Japan on 25 July where it is currently available to preload for ¥3,500.
● Forever Entertainment announced a cubic puzzle game, called Cubic for release on the Japanese Switch eShop next week (04 July) priced at just ¥499 where it is currently available for preload.
● City Connection (who have acquired Zerodiv, and with it Psikyo) announced that Taisen Hot Gimmick: Axes-Jong for Nintendo Switch will release on the Japanese Switch eShop next week (04 July) priced at ¥2,160 if purchased now or ¥2,700 if vought at launch.
● Soedesco finally gave a Japanese release date for Xenon Racer with the game now available on 11 July (it was originally intended for March) priced at ¥3,499 (the preload price is ¥3,149).
● Kemco announced that the 2D RPG Asdivine Dios will be available from 04 July priced at ¥1,296. The early purchase price is ¥1,166. Promo video posted here.
● Eastasiasoft announced yet another localisation today with the platformer Devious Dungeon 2 available on the eShop next week (04 July) priced at ¥880 with preloads just ¥704. Japanese trailer posted here.
● Sprakelsoft today published the three-match puzzler Jewel Fever 2 on the Japanese Switch eShop priced at ¥555 along with a demo. The only other demo this week is for the previously announced GOD EATER 3.
● And the only other game to shadow drop this week is the survival horror game Remothered: Tormented Fathers from DICO priced at ¥2,400.
● The third Sumikko Gurashi game for Nintendo Switch, Sumikko Gurashi Gakkou Seikatu Hajimerun Desu is now available to preload on the Japanese Switch eShop priced at ¥6,264.
● After the cancellation of Mobile Ball last week, it appears the 3DS’s days are looking even more numbered after Weekly Famitsu magazine removed the Nintendo 3DS section from its release schedule in this week’s issue.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp saw beach resort terrain options here. Check out the full details along with a screenshot here.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw Special Heroes Revival: Ylissean Summer (featuring Tiki: Summering Scion, Gaius: Thief Exposed, Robin: Seaside Tactician, and Frederick: Horizon Watcher) and Tap Battle: Illusory Dungeon – Formiddable Foes.
● Weekly Famitsu Issue No.1595 review scores included Yo-kai Watch 4 with 37/40, Shingeki no Kyojin ２ -Final Battle- with 35/40, Akihabara Rhythm and Remix with 26/40, Chikichiki Puroresu Dairantou!! with 30/40, Cubic with 28/40, Mechstermination Force with 30/40, and N++ with 31/40. As always, go here for our full list of Famitsu review scores. Digital estimates in the magazine between 29 April – 26 May also have Human Fall Flat with 29,254, Futari de！Nyanko Daisensou with 24,925, Minecraft with 15,509, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with 12,365.
● Check out this week’s top 10 selling Japanese games here with, as previously mentioned, Yo-kai Watch 4 opening at number one with 150,721 physical copies sold.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares increased by +100 (0.26%) in Japan today to close trading for the day at 38,250.00 JPY.
● Sega announced an Actraiser-ish SolSeraph for release on the Switch eShop on 10 July priced at $14.99/€14.99/£11.99. Announcement trailer here.
● NIS America announced that The Alliance Alive HD Remastered will release on 08 October in North America and 11 October in Europe. Check out the announcement trailer here.
● This week’s episode (#142) OF NyaNyaNya! Neko Mario Time is an E3 special with Super Mario Maker 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Luigi’s Mansion 3, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening and Animal Crossing: New Horizon featured. Watch the video here.
● A new promo video for Fit Boxing featuring the boxer Ryoichi Tamura here.
● The Chinese launch trailer for Hell Warders here.
● Another short promo video for Yuusha Yamada-Kun here.
● A Famitsu livestream for SEGA AGES Wonder Boy in Monster Land here.
● A Omega Labyrinth Life D3P WEB SHOP limited edition promo video here.
● And the latest Virus Vid for Dr. Mario World here.