Weekly Update：The Week’s Top Japanese Nintendo Switch, 3DS, And Mobile News Stories！
Support us by shopping at japanesenintendo.com/shop
(use the code JPNINTENDO for $3 USD off)!
● In the top story of the week: Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aimé announced he will be retiring on 15 April 2019 after 13 years as President, to spend more time with his wife, family and friends. Fils-Aimé will be succeeded by current Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing Doug Bowser, who will be only the fourth North American President (after Minoru Arakawa, Tatsumi Kimishima, and Fils-Aimé).
● Nintendo updated the Nintendo Switch firmware to Version 7.0.1 resolving the issue where the Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu!／Eevee! games could not reconnect to the Pokémon GO app if the game software was closed after pairing with the app.
● A Kong Family Reunion event began in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate seeing spirits from the Donkey Kong series including Legend-class spirits Donkey Kong & Lady and Kaptain K. Rool, Ace-class spirit Rambi, and many more listed at this post.
●CoroCoro Comic announced the Mecha Gear as the winner of its Splatoon 2 design competition and which will be distributed in the May 2019 issue. Check out the winning design and the two runner-ups (amongst 12,000 entrants!) at this post.
● Ubisoft announced that Assassin’s Creed III Remastered will also be releasing in Japan on 23 May, although only the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 versions will be phsycial. Trailer posted here.
● Arc System Works announced GUILTY GEAR 20th ANNIVERSARY PACK will release at retail in Japan and Europe on 16 May (North America will be digital only). The pack includes the original GUILTY GEAR as well as GUILTY GEAR XX Λ CORE PLUS R.
● Rainy Frog announced a retail release of Piczle Puzzle Pack 3-in-1 for 25 April release in Japan (they’re looking for an overseas publisher). The pack includes Piczle Colors, Piczle Lines DX, and Piczle Lines DX: New Puzzles ５００！
● This week’s two Hamster games included the 1985 Nintendo action game Arcade Archives ICE CLIMBER along with the SNK fighting game ACA NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2003.
● QubicGames’s fighting game One Strike finally returned to the Japanese Switch eShop after a four month absence due to copyright issues. New trailer posted here.
● Kairosoft game announced the feudal simulation game Gassen!! Ninja Mura (Ninja Village) for worldwide release on the Switch eShop next week (28 February). Trailer posted here.
● Sega Games released the classic Mark III platformer SEGA AGES Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Japanese Switch eShop this past week. It’s expected overseas in the coming weeks.
● Electronic Arts announced that the platformer Unravel Two will also release on the Japanese Switch eShop on 22 March. Trailer posted here.
● PLAYISM announced the twin stick shooter Assault Android Cactus+ for release on the Switch eShop on 07 March in Japan and 08 March in North America and Europe. Japanese trailer posted here.
● Kemco announced the JRPG Sora no Folklore (Bonds of the Skies) will release on the Japanese Switch eShop (likely worldwide) in the coming weeks. Promo video posted here.
● Kogado Studio announced the 2011 PSP visual novel Hakuisei Renai Shoukougun (White Robe Love Syndrome) for release on the Japanese Switch eShop this April.
● FuRyu will be removing both Doraemon: Nobita no Nankyoku Kachikochi Daibouken and Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Nippon Tanjou from the Japanese 3DS eShop on 27 February.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp saw Fishing Tourney #11: Pink Crystal begin with the pink crystal and gorgeous pink crystal (pictured here) as the post-gold trophy rewards, and Pavé’s Dance Stage as the latest DLC (pictured here).
● Dragalia Lost saw the arrival of both Void Battles—new event quests where you can battle powerful boss enemies—, and the new Summon Showcase, Dragon Special. Check out the featured dragons at this post.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw New Heroes: Kitsune and Wolfskin begin with Keaton: Lupine Collector, Velouria: Wolf Cub, Kaden: Kitsune Braggart, and Selkie: Free Spirit. Introductory videos posted here and official artwork posted here.
● Super Mario Run saw the Princess Peach Spotlight Event where the items you get from Remix 10′s Super Bonus Game will all be related to the princess herself.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. latest two trademark applications in Japan are for DR. MARIO WORLD and DR. MARIO. Dr. Mario World releases for smartphones this Summer. Actual applications posted here.
● Nintendo are recruiting for graduates for 2020 and have open days lined up for Tokyo (08 March) and Kyoto (16 March), which will include a speech by President Shuntaro Furukawa and meeting with senior employees. Go to this page for details on how to apply.
● This week’s Media Create charts saw JUMP FORCE debut at number with with 76,894 units sold, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe as the best-selling Switch game with 34,541, and Nintendo Switch as the best-selling console with 65,958. Full Nintendo charts at this post.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. announced at a board meeting that they will buy back up to 1 million shares (0.83% of the total) for up to 33 billion yen ($298 million) in order to “implement a flexible capital policy in accordance with changes in the business environment”.
● Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in both dollar and unit sales in the United States in January using NPD data. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was the best-selling Switch title and number three overall, up 30% from the Wii U original.
● Capcom are teasing information about the localised version of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy next week, along with Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil Remastered, and Resident Evil 4 information around the same timeframe.
● Red Hook Studios have announced that they are working on a Darkest Dungeon 2 game. Trailer posted here.
● Nintendo Australia announced a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Australasian Open 2019 and Splatoon 2 Australasian Open 2019. Website with trailer here.
● Hörberg Productions (Gunman Clive／Story) today announced the 2D run and gun shooter Mechstermination Force for the Switch eShop ‘soon’. Check out the announcement trailer here.
● San-ei Boeki are releasing a couple of officially licensed Tentacles (Off the Hook) plushies in late June 2019. See pictures of them both here, and preorder here for Pearl and here for Marina – use the code JPNINTENDO for $3 off!
● Sony announced that its PlayStation Vita handheld console will soon end production in Japan with it currently at under six million units sold in the region (worldwide numbers are unknown).
● The 300th issue of Nintendo DREAM magazine saw its readers vote for their favourite characters in their life. Check out the full top 20 with Kirby at number one at this post.
● The second major trailer for the Darius Cozmic Collection here.
● The second promo video for Lulua no Atelier ～Arland no Renkinjutsushi４ (Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland) here.
● The teaser trailer for Jinrui no Minasama he (To All Humanity) here.
● And character introduction videos for Wild Liger, Gannontoise, Gilraptor, Gabrigator, Scorpear, and Knuckle Kong in Zoids Wild: King of Blast here.