Thursday Update：Nintendo Switch Overtakes SNES in Lifetime Sales, Plus More News！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
● The third quarter period saw Nintendo Switch sell 10.81 million hardware units bringing the total above that of the SNES. By comparison, Nintendo 3DS sold approximately 265,000 for the quarter. Pokémon Sword & Shield sold an incredible 16.06 million units in around 6 1/2 weeks. Check out the full summary here.
● Some new first party sales include Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with 22.96 million, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with 17.68 million, Super Mario Odyssey with 16.59 million, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild wit 16.34 million, Pokémon Sword & Shield with 16.06 million, Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! & Eevee! with 11.76 million, Splatoon 2 with 9.81 million, Super Mario Party with 9.12 million, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe with 5.85 million, Luigi’s Mansion 3 with 5.37 million, Super Mario Maker 2 with 5.04 million, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening with 4.19 million, Fire Emblem: Three Houses with 2.58 million, Ring Fit Adventure with 2.17 million, ASTRAL CHAIN with 1.03 million, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order with 1.02 million.
● Nintendo delivered the fourth free update to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order adding Spider-Gwen’s “Gwenom”, Venom’s “Anti-Venom”, and Miles Morales’ & Ms. Marvel’s “Street Wear” costumes pictured here.
● DETUNE updated KORG Gadget for Nintendo Switch to Version 3.5 adding support for both an arcade controller or a USB PC keyboard. Update trailer posted here.
● TAKUYO have opened up the official website for Himehibi Another Princess Days ～ White or Black ～. The game is scheduled for Summer 2020 release.
● Arc System Works updated Mistover to Version 1.0.6a on Switch with a number of changes to make the game easier. Check out the full patch notes here.
● MAGES. updated Genso Manege to Version 1.0.1 with a number of improvements detailed here.
● Forever Entertainment shadow dropped the minimalistic surreal action game NO THING on the Japanese Switch eShop initially priced at just ¥180 (the regular price is ¥200).
● Another game to shadow drop on the Japanese Switch eShop was the 3D top-down open-world American Fugitive from Teyon Japan for ¥1,700 (increasing to ¥2,000 after a couple of weeks). Launch trailer posted here.
● TinyBuild Games will be bringing the cemetery management simulation game Graveyard Keeper to the Japanese Switch eShop next week (February 6) priced at ¥2,390.
● The martial arts platform fighter Roof Rage will also be coming to the Japanese Switch eShop on February 6, priced at ¥1,650, and courtesy of eastasiasoft.
● Tricore’s visual novel horror game Yuoni: Zero will also be releasing on February 6 priced at ¥1,280. English is supported so a worldwide release is expected.
● Hamster will be bringing the 1989 Jaleco shoot ’em up Arcade Archives Saint Dragon to the Switch eShop next week priced at ¥838.
● Ubisoft will be publishing the railway strategy game Railway Empire – Nintendo Switch Edition to the Japanese Switch eShop on February priced at ¥5,280.
● Team17’s Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair saw a demo release on the Japanese Switch eShop with the full game also 33% off until February 19 (¥2,207).
● UNTIES updated Gensou SkyDrift to Version 2.030 where you can now view Time Attack stats online plus numerous bug fixes. Full patch notes (in Japanese) here.
● This week’s new preloads on the Japanese Switch eShop are Cat Quest 2 for ¥1,500, Graveyard Keeper for ¥2,390, Roof Rage for ¥1,650 (regular price ¥1,450), Shiny Ski Resort for ¥1,500, and Railway Empire – Nintendo Switch Edition for ¥5,280.
● Dr. Mario World will be adding the third Koopaling Dr. Larry (pictured here) on February 3. Versus Seasons 2 also begins on February 6. Today saw the return of the Eliminate the Viruses! virus event and one free continue for the next four days.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw the Mysthic Hero Líf: Lethal Swordsman arrive for a summoning event and battle. Check out the artwork and video for Líf here. Today also saw Voting Gauntlet: Clash of the Claws featuring Tibarn vs Naesala, Caineghis vs Nailah, Lethe vs Selkie, and Keaton vs Panne.
● Another successful legal battle for Nintendo Co., Ltd. included with the final judgement from the Japanese Intellectual Property High Court ordering Mari Mobility Development Inc. to pay the company ¥50,000,000 ($460,000). Check out Nintendo’s full translated press release here.
● This week’s Nintendo-only Famitsu software and hardware charts are posted here with Ring Fit Adventure (39,217) narrowly beating Pokémon Sword & Shield (37,950). Void Terrarium was the only new Switch entry to chart (4,759). The all-formats top 10 (posted here) saw Yakuza: Like a Dragon (39,719) retain the top spot.
● This week’s Nintendo-only Famitsu Most Wanted saw Animal Crossing: New Horizons as the number one game for the 11th successive week with Ushiro also topping the Newcomers chart. Check out the full list here.
● Check out images for Nintendo’s recent design registration for the Nintendo Switch Lite Flip Cover here.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. (7974.T) stock decreased today by -450 (1.05%) in Japan to close trading for the day at 42,270.00 JPY. This is before the nine months earnings release.
● A “Silent Rail” trailer for Maitetsu -Pure station- here.
● The Japanese launch trailer for Bookbound Brigade here.
● The “SPECIAL HAPPY” route video for Uta no☆Prince-sama♪Amazing Aria & Sweet Serenade LOVE for Nintendo Switch here.
● Two promo videos for Touhou Spell Bubble including a crossfade video featuring 12 new songs here
● The 14th episode of the second season of the Ninja Box web anime here featuring Don-Chan!
● And another song introduction tweet for Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix here.
● Thanks to Brion Furnell Creative for design, Naruki for news tips, BlackKite for translations, anonymous for support, and to everybody for following. Please also check out my Toad fansite, follow me on Twitter, and buy me a coffee!