Tuesday Update：Switch Sales Up, Profits Down, Dragon Quest Hero, Captain Toad VR, Plus Much More News！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
Nintendo posted their Three Months Earnings Release for the period ending 30 June today. Nintendo Switch sales for the quarter with 2.13 million (total 36.87 million), up from last year, although profits were lower than the same period last year largely due to foreign exchange losses. Check out our full summary here.
● Switch sales now account for 89% of Nintendo’s business. Software was up to an even more impressive degree than hardware, with the digital business up a massive 65.3% on a year-on-year basis. Only two million sellers for the quarter with Super Mario Maker 2 selling an amazing 2.42 million copies in just three days, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which sold a further 1.2 million copies and is now at 17.89 million overall, and likely to be the first Switch game to sell upwards of 20 million. Nintendo 3DS hardware and software dropped heavily in what is likely to be the last full year for the console. Mobile revenue saw a healthy increase, although it still accounts for just 6% of Nintendo’s overall business.
● Masahiro Sakurai’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate presentation revealed that the Dragon Quest Hero DLC will arrive on 30 July in North America and 31 July in Europe and Japan. Version 4.0.0 also arrives on the same dates and adds a time limit to the Final Smash Meter, Very Easy difficulty in Adventure Mode, an Online Tourney Mode, and more. Check out today’s presentation and Hero trailer here. Dragon Quest-themed Mii Fighter Costumes also arrive on 31 July including Veronica (Swordfighter), Erdrick (Swordfighter), Martial Artist (Brawler), and Slime (Hat). Check out screenshots and the trailer here.
● Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was updated to Version 1.3.0 today adding support for the VR Goggles from the Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit Toy-Con and allowing you to play four levels. Check out the introduction video here. In an even more interesting move by Nintendo, Nintendo Switch Online subscribers can play the full game for free from 05-11 August.
● The second big update arriving soon is Splatoon 2 Version 5.0.0 which will add the Dear Senpai stage, all previous Shifty Station stages, Splatfest Replica T-shirts, and more. Images added here. The update arrives tomorrow at 17:00 JST (01:00 PT).
● FuRyu are set to announce the Style Savvy-esque fashion game MODEL Debut #nicola for 01 November release on Nintendo Switch. The first details will likely emerge tomorrow.
● Marvelous’s upcoming mech action game DAEMON X MACHINA is now available to preload on the Japanese Switch eShop for ¥7,581 (the regular price is ¥8,424). File-size is 5.8 GB with English language support confirmed. Check out the eShop artwork here.
● Nintendo’s latest release calendar has just four first party games scheduled for 2020 and after with only one (Animal Crossing: New Horizons) having a release date set (20 March 2020) with the other three (Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2) all listed as TBA.
● The Disney Store in Japan is selling a limited edition set for Disney Tsum Tsum Festival containing four plushies (Stitch, Pooh, Minnie, and Mickey) and the game priced at ¥9,720.
● Clouds Play Company announced a follow-up to their Boulderdash-esque Osyaberi! Horijyo! series with the horizontally scrolling shoot ’em up Osyaberi! Horijyo! Gekihori Ana Horisuki Uchu wo Sukuu！Tte Nandeyanen coming to the Japanese Switch eShop this Summer priced at ¥1,200. Trailer posted here.
● Morphies Law: Remorphed is now available with the game now reduced by 60% (¥777 from ¥1,944 until 19 August). Release trailer uploaded here.
● The Nintendo 3DS will soon lose its YouTube service as it will be terminated on 03 September at 09:00 JST. The Wii U version remains unaffected.
● Nintendo 3DS hardware was roughly 200,000 for the last quarter (totalling 75.08 million units) with software at 1.48 million. Nintendo DS sold 20,000 software for the period.
● Wii somehow sold 150,000 software in the first quarter (likely Just Dance and Mario Kart) where-as Wii U sold 60,000 software.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp saw the new dancing-lights sky terrain option available le. Check out how it looks here.
● Dragalia Lost will see both A Splash of Adventure Summon Showcase and Raid Event begin tomorrow. Check out the featured adventurers Julietta and Celliera, the featured dragon Siren, and the introduction video here. Today saw the alliance feature release log-in bonus.
● Fire Emblem Heroes will see the Mythic Hero Sothis: Girl on the Throne arrive tomorrow in a new summoning event. Official artwork and introduction video posted here.
● Mario Kart Tour is still listed by Nintendo as a Summer 2019 release (although this could be anytime from now until 23 September).
● The Legendary Pokémon Rayquaza will return to Pokémon GO Raid Battles from tomorrow. You may even encounter a Shiny Rayquaza Trailer posted here.
● Weekly Famitsu Issue No.1600 review scores included Fushigi no Gensokyo -Lotus Labyrinth- with 28/40, Blazing Chrome with 30/40, Super Arcade Soccer with 22/40, and Tsukue de Dodgeball with 27/40. Check out the full list of Famitsu review scores here.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares increased today by +279 (0.67%) in Japan to close trading for the day at 40,590.00 JPY. This was before the Three Months Earnings Release.
● Dispatch Games and City Connection announced The Game Paradise: Cruisin Mix Special for release on Nintendo Switch on 15 November with a packaged version also coming.
● Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division announced The Outer Worlds as coming to Nintendo Switch. Announcement trailer uploaded here.
● Micröids announced Garfield Kart Furious Racing for release on 05 November in North America and 07 November in Europe.
● Night Dive Studios will be bringing Turok 2: Seeds of Evil to the Switch eShop next week (09 August).
● The Kirby Portal updated its Ability page with details and videos of 21 more abilities.
● Playing cards revenue (and other) were down 12.2% from the same three months last year. Nintendo didn’t reveal sales for amiibo or for the NES Classic Edition and Super NES Classic Edition.
● Another gameplay video for Omega Labyrinth Life here.
● The English launch trailer for Forager here.
● Thanks to Naruki for news tips, BlackKite for translations, Brion Furnell Creative for design, and to everybody for following. Please also check out my Toad fansite, follow me on Twitter @japaneseswitch, and please buy me a coffee!