Monday Update：Chaos Win Splatfest, Splatoon 2 Version 5 Announced, Tencent Developing Pokémon Game, And More！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
The final Splatoon 2 Splatfest ended with Chaos defeating Order 3-0. Nintendo posted a ‘Thank you’ Splatfest Compilation video which can be viewed here along with the results announcement video. Nintendo are also updating the game to Version 5.0.0 in late July the Dear Senpai stage, Splatfest Replica T-shirts (pictured here) with double gear ability. Shellendorf Institute will also undergo maintenance from 29-31 July.
● What may become a major story is Tencent’s TIMI Studio Group developing an all-new Pokémon game which is expected to be a mobile game (although this isn’t confirmed). TIMI have previously developed Arena of Valor and Call of Duty Mobile.
● Square-Enix revealed even more extra details of the Nintendo Switch version of Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition with the game adding bonus stories for several characters including Erik (and Heal Slime), Sylvando, Jade, Rab, and Hendrik and Jasper.
● Collecting all the yokai in Yo-kai Watch 4 will not only require you to purchase the latest issue of CoroCoro Comic, advance tickets for the upcoming movie, and paid DLC, but also to complete level 16 of the mobile game Yo-kai Watch Puni Puni which will get you a code for Komashura. Find out the full (lengthy) process and screenshots here.
● Konami will soon update the baseball game Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu to Version 1.0.2 which fixes some bugs with Homerun Attack and Score Attack, and update player data right up to 07 May 2019.
● Bandai Namco Entertainment will update Super Dragon Ball Heroes World Mission on 07 August adding 17 new cards, five new quests, and much more. Promo video posted here.
● Double Drive LLC announced their third Switch game after Gem Crash and Zombies Mansion with the strategy game Wakusei Daisensou Iseijin X・Kyoufu no Chikyuu Shinryaku Tour. Screenshot here.
● Forever Entertainment will be localising physics based puzzle game Find The Balance on the Japanese Switch eShop soon as Balance Sagashi. Japanese trailer posted here.
● Devolver Digital published a demo for the beat ’em up Ape Out on the Switch eShop with the full game currently 30% off (¥1,050 instead of ¥1,500).
● Nintendo posted the top 30 best-selling games on the eShop for the first half of 2019 with both retail titles (with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as number one) and download only (with Human: Fall Flat at number one) which I’ve posted in English here.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp saw the Sanrio Characters Collection #2 featuring Pompompurin and My Melody. Check out details of the Crafting Collection and Sanrio Characters Goals #2 along with video here, the My Melody Cookie items and video here, and the Pompompurin Cookie items and video here. Also, check out the Version 2.5.2 patch notes here.
● Dragalia Lost will see featured boss Valfarre arrive in Astral Raids on 27 July and Void Jeanne d’Arc and the Greedy Manticore appear in Void Battles in a few hours. Check out images for both here. The game will also be updated to Version 1.10.0 on 29 July allowing players to create an alliance of up to 30 players with 33 crests to choose from.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw Summoning Focus: Weekly Revival yesterday featuring Ryoma: Peerless Samurai, Hinoka: Warrior Princess, and Takumi: Wild Card. Today saw Forging Bonds: Joining Forces. Today saw New Heroes: Three Houses featuring Edelgard: The Future, Dimitri: The Protector, Claude: The Schemer, and Byleth: Proven Professor from Fire Emblem: Three Houses (official artwork and introduction video posted here). Forging Bonds: Joining Forces also arrived today with Byleth, Edelgard, and more, another Aether Raids Event, and three new home screen themes (pictured here).
● Team GO Rocket and Shadow Pokémon are now available in Pokémon GO and can be met by visiting any dark grey PokéStop that appears in the game.
● In COMG! rankings this week: Professional Baseball Spirits 2019 is number one with 141 pts, Super Mario Maker 2 is second with 29 pts, Fushigi no Gensokyo -Lotus Labyrinth- had 25 pts on Switch and 24 on PS4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order failed to chart. In pre-orders: Pokémon Sword／Shield has 153 pts (Sword is above Shield), Fire Emblem: Three Houses has 83 pts, and Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition has 39 pts. TSUTAYA rankings have Professional Baseball Spirits 2019 at one and two (PS4 > Vita), Super Mario Maker 2 at number three, with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order at number seven. GEO has the same top three as TSUTAYA with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 at number five.
● This month’s Nintendo Dream Most Wanted charts saw Pokémon Sword／Shield still number one although down in votes slightly. Animal Crossing: New Horizons shot up two places to number two after its strong E3 showing. Check out the full top 15 here. The magazine’s readers also voted on which character they’d like to be on a desert island with. See the results here.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares dropped by -980 (2.38%) in Japan to close trading for the day at 40,210.00 JPY.
● Nintendo issued a statement to The Verge on the Switch Joy-Con drifting issue: “At Nintendo, we take great pride in creating quality products and we are continuously making improvements to them. We are aware of recent reports that some Joy-Con controllers are not responding correctly. We want our consumers to have fun with Nintendo Switch, and if anything falls short of this goal we always encourage them to visit http://support.nintendo.com so we can help.”
● Chinese technology company Shenzhen Haibao Technology Co., Ltd. applied for a MEWTWO trademark in Japan for a number of goods. I would expect Nintendo to counter-claim this and will hopefully post any outcome! Check out the actual application posted here.
● In other trademarks: Bandai Namco Entertainment applied for the Switch game Ninja Box and Sega Games for Mega39’s (the upcoming Hatsune Miku Project Diva title).
● Watch the opening movie for Digimon Survive here.
● An animated “Book Ⅲ Movie：Cohort of the Dead” video for Fire Emblem Heroes here.
● A new promo video for Dragon Quest X Online here.
● A Sisilala TV episode featuring ARTIFACT ADVENTURE GAIDEN DX here.
● An Inti Creates livestream for Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX here.
● 10 minutes of gameplay footage for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition from GameXplain here.
● And some Astral Chain gameplay footage from Digital Foundry here.
● Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair “Alternate Level States” trailer here.
● Thanks to Naruki for news tips, BlackKite for translations, Brion Furnell Creative for design, and to everybody for following. Please also check out my new Toad fansite, follow me on Twitter @japaneseswitch, and please buy me a coffee!