Thursday Update：The Best-Selling Games of 2019, Chansey Peach Trademark, Final Splatfest Kicks Off, Plus More News！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
Weekly Famitsu magazine posted the 100 top-selling retail games in Japan from 31 December to 30 June with Kingdom Hearts III at number one with 838,927 units sold, narrowly followed by Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with 779,845 (SSBU will likely overtake KH3 any week now and is much higher lifetime-to-date). New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is third with 643,426. It’s likely that Pokémon Sword／Shield will overtake all three to round off 2019 as the best-selling game.
● Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order here is now available on the Japanese Switch eShop (and at physical stores shortly!). Loki has also been confirmed by Nintendo of America as a playable character with Cyclops and Colossus to be added as free DLC on 30 August. The first DLC pack will add Blade, Moon Knight, Punisher, and Morbius. And check out the second Japanese magazine advert for the game here.
● Splatoon 2 updated to Version 4.9.1 which is required in order to compete in the Final Fest which is also now live. The patch also fixes an issue causing the player to appear in an unintended location after falling into water while performing a dodge roll with a Dualie weapon equipped. Judd also rounds off the Final Fest Splatocalypse artwork. Some of the results of the Famitsu survey regarding players favourite weapons, stage, artist and more here. And a brief Nintendo Labo video for the Final Fest here.
● Nintendo also updated both Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit and Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Drive Kit games to Version 1.1.0 adding Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, and Korean language support
● Check out the Japanese box art for Luigi Mansion 3 here.
● Sega announced that the demo for Tokyo 2020 Olympics The Official Video Game will now be available until 19 September, that the Tokyo 2020 mascot Miraitowa will be playable, and other costumes will be selectable (pictures posted here).
● The physical Collector’s Edition of GIGA WRECKER ALT. from Rainy Frog will include both an artbook and soundtrack.
● Sega’s upcoming Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD is currently 70% complete.
● UNTIES released Lotus Friends DLC for Fushigi no Gensokyo -Lotus Labyrinth- priced at ¥2,484 (or ¥1,987 until 18 August) adding new playable characters and content.
● A second demo this week (after PICROSS LORD OF THE NAZARICK yesterday) was released on the Japanese Switch eShop with KILL la KILL the GAME IF. Better still, it supports English!
● Ancient Games announced that Susume！！Mamotte Knight – Hime no Totsugeki Serenade (Gotta Protectors) is almost complete. Check out a new screenshot here.
● SmileBoom released a version of Puchikon 4 SmileBASIC on the Japanese Switch eShop without a ticket (which is needed to upload your games) for ¥2,500. The original release is ¥3,000 with tickets priced at ¥500. SmileBoom said the reason for the re-releases is that the DLC bundle is hard to find when searching the eShop.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp players who had problems with the game on 12 July received a gift of 60 x Leaf Tickets and 10 x Hello Kitty gyroidite.
● Dragalia Lost players received a gift of 100 consecrated water. The next Summon Showcase: Dragon Special was announced for 20-26 July with the featured dragons Nyarlathotep. Pazuzu, and Nidhogg profiled here.
● Dr. Mario World surpassed over five million downloads in its opening week according to SensorTower and has grossed approximately $500,000 worldwide. A Dr. Mario World Virus Repel Championship is also coming to Japan next week. Check out the full details along with several videos here. Finally, spoiler alert – the next batch of Doctors are revealed here.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw Coliseum Quests where you can earn Orbs, Hero Feathers, and other rewards, plus a new map in Tactics Drills: Grandmaster
● Pokémon Masters was confirmed to feature 3-on-3 co-op play, a real-time battling setae, and powerful sync moves. Check out the latest trailer for the game here.
● Check out this week’s full Nintendo-only software and hardware charts in Japan using Famitsu data here with Super Mario Maker 2 on top with 54,520 and GOD EATER 3 opening with 20,960.
● And check out this week’s Nintendo-only Famitsu Most Wanted with DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition reclaiming the top spit from <bPokémon Sword／Shield here.
● Next week’s issue of Weekly Famitsu will have a 40 page feature on Fire Emblem: Three Houses including a developer interview, plus features on KILL la KILL the GAME IF, Omega Labyrinth Life, and more.
● This week’s DENGEKI TOP50 has Super Mario Maker 2 at 53,082, GOD EATER 3 at 21,811 (around 70% of its stock), with the other new entry Puru Chara Friends Hoppe-Chan to Sanrio Characters selling just 1,085. Kaeru Batake DE Tsukamaete didn’t chart and sold less than 567 copies.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares dropped by -400 (0.97%) in Japan to close trading for the day at 40,950.00 JPY. This is after the reveal of the revised Nintendo Switch model with improved battery life.
● Daybreak Games and WB Games announced that DC Universe Online is coming to Switch on 06 August. Check out the trailer here.
● I decided to put this in the miscellaneous section as Nintendo, Creatures, and Game Freak have applied for a new Chansey Peach (as ‘らきもも’) trademark in Japan for literally, Chansey peaches! Check out the full details and the actual application here.
● The third trailer for DAEMON X MACHINA here.
● The third trailer for The Ninja Warriors Once Again here.
● The Fire Emblem: Three Houses ‘Masterclass from Japan Expo 2019’ video here.
● A Nintendo Switch ‘For the Family that Plays Together’ commercial here.
● A trailer for the DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition voice drama “Tears of the Princess” here.
● The Japanese trailer for GIGA WRECKER ALT. here/
● A second TV commercial for Tsuri Spirits Nintendo Switch Version (Fishing Spirits) featuring EXIT here.
● The first 70 minutes gameplay for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order here.
● An introduction video for the Deluxe Edition of Omega Labyrinth Life here.
● A TV commercial for Sumikko Gurashi: Gakkou Seikatu Hajimerun Desu here.
● The Japanese trailer for Yoiyami Dreamer here.
● And the Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night accolades trailer here.
● Thanks to Naruki for news tips, BlackKite for translations, Brion Furnell Creative for design, and to everybody for following. Please also check out my new Toad fansite, follow me on Twitter @japaneseswitch, and please buy me a coffee!