Friday Update：DanMachi Coming to Switch, Same-Sex Relationships Coming to Fire Emblem, Plus More News！
Please support me by shopping here
(use JPNINTENDO for 5% off)!
5pb. announced the dungeon RPG DanMachi (known as Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite Combate in English) is coming to Switch on 28 November with an Asian release also confirmed with English support. Early purchases will come with a retro shoot ’em up. Check out the box art and videos at this post…
● Nintendo confirmed that same-sex relationships are possible in Fire Emblem: Three Houses for select male and female characters. This marks a huge change in direction from the Nintendo 3DS days where Tomodachi Collection: New Life was criticised upon its localisation for not offering a choice.
● TETRIS 99 welcomed the beginning of the 5th MAXIMUS CUP Splatfest Edition. Earn 100 event points to earn a special Splatoon 2 theme. Screenshots and video fo the theme posted here.
● Super Smash Bros. Ultimate also saw the beginning of the Squid Pro Quo event with Splatoon series characters appearing hourly on the Spirit Board. Our post with artwork for all can be found here.
● OCTOPATH TRAVELER is now one year old with Square-Enix holding a retweet campaign to win some original artwork. Check out the video of the illustration here. Unfortunately the winner must reside in Japan.
● Level-5 released a minor Version 1.2.1 update to Yo-kai Watch 4 which fixes an issue from Version 1.2.0 where saving and loading causes an item not equipped by anyone to have an ‘equipped’ status and thus cannot be actually equipped. Players also receive a 1-Star Coin and 2 x Crank-a-Kai.
● With Final Fest coming next week: many Japanese retailers are presenting dedicated Splatoon 2 areas where fans can vote for Team Chaos or Team Order. There’s also themed postcards for select purchases. Check out images for the event here.
● eXtend recalled the contents of the Deluxe Edition of BUSTAFELLOWS which will include box, game, soundtrack, magazine, and artwork. Check out images of the contents here.
● Granzella revealed the early purchase benefits for the Japanese release of Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories with nine key chains in the physical release and an Athlete Pack DLC for the digital. Pictures for both here.
● Pokkén Tournament DX saw the beginning of its latest Group Match with a Blaziken title reward. The next event (26-28 July) sees a Empoleon title reward.
● Starsign announced a sequel to the 3DS sliding ball puzzle game Deaidama with Collide-a-Ball 2 releasing worldwide on the Switch eShop on 25 July priced at ¥500／$4.99／€4.99, Check out the promo video here.
● Sting announced that a major Version 1.1 update to add new features and modes to Macho de Pon! ZZ will be coming to the game soon although it isn’t live yet. In addition, a smartphone version of the game Macho de Pon! Try will also be coming soon. Check out a promo video for the Switch game here.
● Mechanic Arms have moved the puzzle games Sokoban Beginners and Sokoban Light to a Fall 2019 release window on the Japanese Switch eShop.
● Preloads for Fire Emblem: Three Houses were enough to unseat Super Mario Maker 2 from the top of the Japanese Switch eShop charts. Check out the full top 10 (plus those for 3DS) here.
● 60 games were added to the Japanese Switch eShop sales this week with the highlights being 30% off OCTOPATH TRAVELER and some huge savings off Chorus Worldwide titles. Check out the post here and sales page here.
● And ASTRAL CHAIN is now available to preload on the Japanese Switch eShop priced at ¥8,618, requiring 9.6 GB, and supporting Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Korean, and Chinese.
● The Japanese 3DS Theme Shop will see three PinnochioP themes next week (17 July).
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp updated to Version 2.5.1 which fixed a big where it wasn’t possible to sign into your Nintendo Account. Nintendo also posted some smartphone wallpaper featuring Hello Kitty and Cinnamoroll.
● Dragalia Lost will see new quest levels will be added to The Mercurial Gauntlet on 15 July and a daily free summon event, which will allow you to summon on the applicable summon showcase for free once per day, tomorrow.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw Tempest Trials+: Lessons Learned begin with a 5★ Special Hero Fiora: Defrosted Illian and three Sacred Seals: Attack/Res 1, Steady Stance 1 and Chill Spd 1 as rewards.
● The DENGEKI TOP50 has now been posted with Super Mario Maker 2 at number one selling 83,728 units and in new entries: Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle sold 20,033 on Switch (the PS4 version sold 16,294), PixARK sold 6,152 units, and CLANNAD sold 1,162.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares were on-course to be at their highest level since before E3 2018 but dropped slightly by -10 (0.02%) in Japan just before close of trading to finish the week at 41,650.00 JPY.
● Konami announced that the PC Engine mini launches on 19 March 2020. Check out the lineup trailer here (and in Japanese here), TurboGrafx-16 mini here, and Core Grafx mini here. All three versions come with 26 Japanese games and 24 English. No price was revealed for the system(s).
● The newest issue of CoroCoro Comic has a Yo-kai Gakuen design contest with one of the prizes being “Yo-kai Watch Latest Game”. Not specifying Yo-kai Watch 4 by name is leading some to believe that a new Yo-kai Watch title or an updated version of Yo-kai Watch 4 may be released in the near future.
● A length Japanese theater commercial for Pokémon Sword／Shield here. The game is also now available to preload in Japan.
● Two more Japanese commercials for Fire Emblem: Three Houses here.
● And three Nintendo Switch Summer 2019 commercials featuring Super Mario Maker 2, Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Party, Yoshi’s Crafted World, TETRIS 99, and 1-2-Switch here.
● Ryuko Matoi and Satsuki Kiryuin character trailers for KILL la KILL the GAME IF here.
● Phantasy Star Online 2 Phantasy Star Thanksgiving Day 2019 ONLINE introduction movie part two here.
● Japanese trailer for Solstice Chronicles: MIA here.
● And the 14th episode of Dragalia Lost Radio Garden here.
● Thanks to Naruki for news tips, BlackKite for translations, Brion Furnell Creative for design, and to everybody for following. Please also check out my new Toad fansite, follow me on Twitter @japaneseswitch, and please buy me a coffee!