Friday Update：Financial Results Briefing, Fire Emblem: Lost Heroes, Plus Much More News！
Support us by shopping at japanesenintendo.com/shop
(use the code JPNINTENDO for $3 USD off)!
● From the Financial Results Briefing, Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa and Senior Executive Officer Shinya Takahashi talked about Nintendo Switch sell-through from January to March was up 35% from the same period in 2018, with a 23% increase for the full year. The Switch is pacing comparable to Nintendo 3DS in its first near-25 months, ahead of Wii U, but behind both Wii and DS. Sell-through of Switch software was up 50% from January to March and up 70% over the full year. Digital sales almost doubled in the last fiscal year compared to the previous. Sales per hardware unit (formerly attach rate, but inclusive of accessories and DLC etc) is at ¥55,000 ($493) compared to ¥42,100 ($377) for Wii.
● A press release from Nintendo regarding China simply stated: “Nintendo Co., Ltd. is announcing that a collaboration is in progress with Tencent Holdings Limited (HQ: Shenzhen, China; Chairman of the Board and CEO: Ma Huateng) to release the Nintendo Switch video game system in China.” Furukawa states further that the launch timing is undetermined, so the company have not factored this business into their. financial forecasts for this new fiscal year.
● In E3 news: Nintendo will again not be hosting a large-scale conference for institutional investors, securities analysts, and the media. Instead, they will again hold video presentation discussing the games that are planned for release during up until the end of March 2020.
● Nintendo Switch Online is also a success with 9.8 million current paid subscribers (excluding free trial memberships) with 2.8 million of them having played TETRIS 99.
● Nintendo updated The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to Version 1.6.0 where the game is now compatible with the VR Goggles from Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit.
● Nintendo also updated Super Mario Odyssey to Version 1.3.0 where it is also compatible with the VR Goggles. Zelda can be played for the full game in VR where-as Mario features three new mini-levels along with the opening and closing movies.
● Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order will release on the same date (19 July) in Japan as in the West and will be priced at ¥7,538. Check out the Japanese TV commercial here.
● The five day Nintendo Labo SMASH KIT spirit event is now live in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Check out images for the Toy-Con Robot, Toy-Con Car, Toy-Con VR Goggles, and Professor Riggs & Plaise & Lerna spirits at this post.
● Nintendo have said that Pokémon Sword／Shield “are being developed to emphasise the fun of playing Nintendo Switch in handheld mode”.
● After previous announcements for Grachiosaurus, Hunter Wolf, and Dime Pulsar, the fourth (of six) DLC characters announced for Zoids Wild: King of Blast is Gilraptor Emperor. Check out the announcement trailer here and the latest TV commercial here.
● Success announced that Curly Brace from Cave Story will be added to Umihara Kawase Fresh! in July, at the time of the Western launch. The retro levels will also be coming this year.
● Bandai Namco Entertainment announced a free update for Taiko no Tatsujin Nintendo Switch Version! on 16 May adding the new player vs player (or player vs com) Donkatsu Fight mode, which also includes the new song ‘Gold Armor’.
● Prototype opened up the official website for Grisaia no Kajitsu Meikyuu Rakuen Full Package (The Fruit of Grisaia and The Labyrinth of Grisaia) with the game set for Fall 2019 release and supporting both Japanese and English text.
● Nippon Ichi Software have also opened up the teaser website for Shin Hayarigami １・２ Pack with the full website open from 16 May.
● Koei Tecmo Games updated Winning Post 9 to Version 1.0.3 with performance improvements and bug fixes.
● Koei Tecmo also revealed that Musou OROCHI 3 (Warriors Orochi 4) has sold 700,000 worldwide across all platforms.
● Nintendo announced free play days for Karaoke JOYSOUND for Nintendo Switch this Saturday (27 April) and next (04 May) from 10:00 to 19:59, with ticket prices also reduced from 25 April to 08 May.
● And Nintendo opened up a webpage for Text Adventure games.
● Play,Doujin! announced the Touhou Project mahjong game Touhou Genso Mahjong for release on the Nintendo Switch eShop this Fall.
● TROOZE have updated Animus adding a new boss (pictured here) and new equipment.
● And check out this week’s Nintendo eShop charts for both Switch and 3DS, with Cuphead retaining its top spot, here.
● Nintendo still plan to release Dr. Mario World in early Summer and Mario Kart Tour in the Summer and will then operate a total of six mobile games globally.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp saw Cherry’s Rockin’ Cookie newly available (full details here), the Free Cookies For Days log-in bonus (full details here), and more fortune cookies back in stock, beginning with Marshal’s pastry cookie, Bunnie’s li’l red cookie, and Tia’s rosewater cookie today, with more to follow, along with some returning DLC characters.
● Dragalia Lost saw its biggest event to date with the pictured Fire Emblem: Lost Heroes (which is detailed in full in this post) and a new summon showcase which adds Marth, Fjorm, and Veronica (full details here).
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw two Summoning Focus: Voting Gauntlet events featuring Ylgr: Fresh Snowfall, Lugh: Anima Child, Tiki: Dragon Scion,Nino: Pale Flower, Fae: Divine Dragon, and Delta: Free Spirit. Tomorrow will see the Legendary Hero Alm: Saint-King. Check out the trailer for him here.
● Nintendo updated the Nintendo Switch Online app to Version 1.5.1 with “Bug fixes implemented.”
● Super Mario Run saw the Appearance Rate Of 5★ Up event with more chance to get a 5★ Mario, Peach, Bowser and more statues.
● Check out this month’s most wanted games from the readers of Nintendo Dream magazine, with Pokémon Sword／Shield again at number one, here.
● In-spite of the conservative forecasts by President Shuntaro Furukawa in yesterday’s Earnings Release, Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares dropped by just -510 (1.32%) in Japan today to close trading for the week at 38,000 JPY.
● Sony revealed that worldwide shipments for PlayStation 4 are now at 96.8 million and that PlayStation 5 will not launch this fiscal year (so it will release after 01 April 2020).
● Kirby is 27 today (27 April in Japan) with Hoshi no Kirby (Kirby’s Dream Land) releasing on Nintendo Game Boy on this day in 1992! Check out the anniversary illustration here.
● Retro Studios are actively recruiting for a number of new positions. Go here to see them all/apply!
● The opening movie for Yokai Watch 4: Bokura wa Onajikara o Miage Tale here.
● The latest episode of Yoiko playing indie games sees the pair play UNDERTALE here.
● The Japanese trailer for Cadence of Hyrule：Crypt of the NecroDancer feat. Zelda no Densetsu here with the game listed as ‘coming soon’.
● Promo movie for Tlicolity Eyes -Twinkle Snowtime- here.
● ‘Team Up’ trailer and second episode of the Overdrive animation (Japanese version) for Team Sonic Racing here.
● Another introduction video for Umihara Kawase Fresh! here.
● The Japanese Ukyo Tachibana trailer for Samurai Spirits here.
● An English Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth ‘Returning Characters’ trailer here.