Wednesday Update：More Mario And Kirby Coming To Nintendo Switch Online, Plus Much More News！
Support us by shopping at japanesenintendo.com/shop
(use the code JPNINTENDO for $3 USD off)!
● Nintendo revealed the February Nintendo Switch Online line-up which arrives on 13 February and again features a game exclusive for Japan (and again no substitute title for the western market). The two games are both top tier however with the pictured above Super Mario USA (Super Mario Bros. 2) and Hoshi no Kirby (Kirby’s Adventure). The exclusive to Japan title is the Tecmo sumo game Tsuppari Ozumo. Japanese and English trailers posted here.
● Another Spirit Board event ‘Well-Rounded Spirits’ has been announced for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate beginning on Friday for three days. The event includes Legend-class spirits Shine Sprite and Sukapon for a limited time. All spirits listed at this post.
● Warner announced both D’Vorah and Kabal for Mortal Kombat 11 (the game still hasn’t been confirmed for Japanese release.
● Imagineer and Nintendo have updated Fit Boxing (Fitness Boxing) along with the trial version to add Screen Capture functionality (but not Video Capture).
● The latest Fortnite content update includes the Bottle Rockets weapon (video here), Environmental Campfires, and the Wild West Duos Limited Time Mode.
● Chorus Worldwide are set to announce another Nintendo Switch title towards the end of this month. The Xbox One version of Forgotton Anne is also scheduled to receive a demo in Japan.
● Arc System Works announced a limited edition for KILL la KILL the GAME IF priced at ¥10,800 and including game, box, art book, soundtrack, and Mako Croquette keychain. The regular physical/digital version will cost ¥7,344.
● Arc System Works also updated BLAZBLUE CROSS TAG BATTLE changing a lot of the game’s universal mechanics and character balance adjustments as well as bug fixes.
● Vivox, who power Fortnite’s voice chat with its SDK system, is now offering support to other Nintendo Switch third-party developers.
● Hori announced a Fighting Stick mini for Nintendo Switch for release in April priced at ¥5,378. Pictures (and typo!) here. I’ll do a separate post once preorder links are available!
● Hamster’s only Switch title this week is the classic action puzzle game ACA NEOGEO Puzzle Bobble 2 which is scheduled for worldwide release (07 February) and priced at ¥823 on the Japanese Switch eShop.
● Double Drive announced their second Nintendo Switch title after the puzzle game GEM CRASH with the mysterious Zombies Mansion which has no screenshots, trailer, price or release date, but it does have a CERO B rating!
● Rainy Frog announced they will be localising the cute cat platformer Super Phantom Cat 2 on the Japanese Switch eShop in late February priced at ¥500 under the better name of Phantom Cat Super Nya Edition. Trailer posted here.
● Three demos released on the Japanese Switch eShop today with Langrisser Ⅰ＆Ⅱ from Kadokawa Games, Meimon Pocket Gakuin 2 (Pocket Academy 2) from Kairosoft, and Aperion Cyberstorm from Chorus Worldwide. Only Langrisser out of the three does not support English.
● Devolver Digital will be localising the smash ‘em up Ape Out on the Japanese Switch eShop on 28 February priced at ¥1,500 with preloads now live. Japanese trailer posted here.
● Samurai Punk today published the multiplayer splitscreen shooter Screencheat: Unplugged on the Japanese Switch eShop priced at ¥1,280. Japanese trailer posted here.
● NextNinja published the puzzler KYUB on the Japanese Switch eShop today priced at just ¥500. Launch trailer posted here.
● Another game releasing on the Japanese Switch eShop out of nowhere was the puzzler Neverout localised by BEEP Japan and priced at ¥800. Announcement trailer posted here.
● The final new game released on the Japanese Switch eShop today was the marble-physics platformer Marble It Up! priced at ¥2,200. Launch trailer posted here. Go to this post to see all 12 Switch games that released in Japan today.
● Another bit of Rainy Frog news with their localisation of the action-adventure game Feudal Alloy for the Japanese Switch eShop on 21 February under the new title of as Buriki no Kishi. Preloads are now live priced at ¥1,500. Japanese trailer posted here.
● QuantumAstroGuild are localising their platform game Almost There: The Platformer for the Japanese Switch eShop on on 21 February as Mou Sukoshi！：Platformer. The Japanese price is ¥990. Trailer for the English version posted here.
● Mediascape finally gave a Switch release date for Touhou Sky Arena: Gensokyo Kuusen Hime -MATSURI-CLIMAX on 14 February priced at ¥3,240 with preloads now live. The game was originally slated for January. Promo video posted here.
● Worker Bee announced they will be localising Rese Games’s tactical soccer RPG Ganbare！Super Strikers on the Japanese Switch eShop ‘soon’ (no date/price). Release trailer posted here.
● YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- is now available to preload on the Japanese Switch eShop for 20% off (¥1,584 instead of ¥1,980). Launch trailer posted here. The game is also scheduled for worldwide release on 21 February with the safe offer in all regions.
● Also newly available to preload is the visual novel Boku no Kanojo wa Ningyo Hime！？ My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? from Cosen, priced at ¥2,300. See the full list of games newly available for preload at this post or just search for ‘preload’ on our Release Schedule.
● 32 more Switch games were added to the Nintendo eShop sales in Japan including most Media-5 titles (the most popular is the ‘Learn with Nanami’ English-learning game Nanami to Issho ni Manabo！English Joutatsu no Kotsu Riron-Hen which is 40% off). As always, bookmark our Sales page for the full list.
● And another Human: Fall Flat content update is coming soon according to the Japanese publisher’s Teyon.
● FuRyu added a Doraemon: Nobita no Getsumen Tansaki theme (Doraemon: Nobita’s Chronicle of the Moon Exploration) to the Japanese 3DS Theme Shop priced at ¥200. Picture posted here.
● Sales games this week include 50% off each of TOKI TORI 3D, Outer World 20th Anniversary Edition, Mercenaries Saga 2, and Fushigi no Kuni no Labyrinth (Adventure Labyrinth Story) priced at ¥200, ¥400, ¥250 and ¥324 respectively.
● Sales games this week include 50% off each of XTYPE+, Outer World 20th Anniversary Edition, and Tetrobot AND CO. priced at ¥200, ¥400 and ¥400 respectively.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp will see the next Gyroidite Scavenger Hunt event ‘Valentine’s Jam Session’ later this week, and which will feature a chocolate tree and musical instruments teased in the image here.
● Fire Emblem Heroes will see Special Heroes: Greil’s Devoted arrive on 08 February featuring Greil: Heroic Exemplar, Soren: Addled Strategist, Mist: Purest Spirit, and Ike: Stalwart Heart. Introductory videos posted here. The next Tempest Trials+ event will also see Special Hero Titania: Warm Knight. Today saw Bound Hero Battle: Cecilia and Lilina.
● Pokémon GO sees the Shiny version of the Mythical Pokémon Meltan appearing until 05 March when opening a Mystery Box with waiting time reduced to three days. Shiny Meltan can be evolved into Shiny Melmetal. Both Shiny Pokémon pictured here.
● Kingdom Hearts III was the best-selling game again last week in Japan selling a further 91,019 units, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was the best-selling Switch game with 45,879 units sold. Nintendo Switch saw a significant boost selling a further 69,472 units due to the Pokémon bundle being largely re-stocked. See the full Nintendo hardware numbers and software charts at this post.
● Weekly Famitsu Issue No.1575 review scores included Victor Vran Overkill Edition with 32/40 and Kiniro no Corda Octave with 31/40 (Kingdom Hearts III scored 39 and Catherine Full Body scored 33!).
● Famitsu digital estimates from the same issue, and from 26 November to 30 December 2018, include 309,229 for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 78,756 for Futari de！Nyanko Daisensou (The Battle Cats), 45,387 for Super Mario Party, 33,506 for Dragon Quest Builders 2: Hakaishin Shidoo to Karappo no Shima, 29,219 for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and 23,611 for Splatoon 2.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. shares dropped by a further -5.55% today to close trading at ¥29,505.00, which is the lowest number for several weeks.
● Koei Tecmo Games essentially confirmed that development has begun on Sengoku Musou 5 (Samurai Warriors 5) with the game set to be revealed either this year or next.
● Games Industry report that Take-Two Interactive are happy with Sid Meier’s Civilization VI’s performance on Nintendo Switch and that it “significantly exceeded expectations”. And the outcome? “We are excited about continuing to support the Switch for the right kind of properties.”
● Siliconera report that Square-Enix have applied for new trademarks for Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Adventure, and Mystic Quest in Europe, and for Slash Field in the U.S.
● Ooedo Sensei Tonosaman no Uta (The Steel Samurai Theme) from Gyakuten Saiban 123 Naruhodo Selection (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy) here.
● A character video for Kasumi, Ayane, and Hitomi in DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme 3 Scarlet here.
● A Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha × Phantasy Star Online 2 collaboration introduction movie here.
● Another Japanese TV commercial for Dragon Quest X Online here.
● An introduction trailer for the new ‘DELTA’ stage in PSYVARIAR DELTA here.
● Another trailer for Aragami: Shadow Edition here.
● An introduction video for Alchemic Dungeons DX here.
● The Japanese trailer for The Stillness of the Wind here.
● The launch trailer for Etrian Odyssey Nexus here.
● Thanks to Naruki for the Zombies Mansion news!