Weekly Update: The Week’s Top Japanese Nintendo Switch, 3DS, And Mobile News Stories！
Support us by shopping at japanesenintendo.com/shop
(use the code JPNINTENDO for $3 USD off)!
● Bandai Namco Entertainment announced SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays for release on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Steam in 2019.
● Nippon Ichi Software announced Satsujin Tantei Jack the Ripper (Murder Detective Jack the Ripper) for 25 April release on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4.
● Success announced that Umihara Kawase Fresh! will release for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 25 April priced at ¥6,264. Only Japan will see a packaged version.
● Super Smash Bros. Ultimate saw The More the Merrier event including Donkey Kong & Lady, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres, and Octoling Girl and Octoling Boy Spirits.
● Nintendo officially announced the Boke vs. Tsukkomi Splatfest for Splatoon 2 taking place between 02-03 February at 15:00-15:00 JST. Artwork posted here.
● In other Splatoon 2 news: 10 weapons from Sheldon’s Picks from the original Splatoon game will be added shortly alongside a demo for Japan. Check out the weapons here.
● Dragon Ball FighterZ will see Jiren and Videl join the fight on 31 January, Broly (DBS) and Gogeta (SSGSS) join ‘soon’ and two more fighters left. Reveal trailer posted here.
● Compile Heart announced the dungeon crawler Genkai Tokki Moero Chronicle Ｈ (Moero Chronicle Hyper) for release on the Japanese Switch eShop on 31 January.
● Image & Form Games announced the roleplaying card game SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech for 2019 release on the Switch eShop.
● h.a.n.d. announced a Box Boy clone Gabbuchi for release on the Switch eShop next week (31 January) priced at ¥800 (the preload price is ¥400).
● CyberStep will launch the action MMORPG Onigiri on the Switch eShop worldwide on 31 January as a free download, and will have cross-platform play with the Steam version.
● Four new demos released on the Japanese Switch eShop with Soikano ～Gyutto Dakishimete～, Venture Towns, Pic-a-Pix Pieces and Mugsters.
● Librica announced they will remove all 98 Dokopon Choice digital manga titles on 31 January with re-downloading options only available until 28 February.
● Dragalia Lost was updated to Version 1.4.0 with feature improvements and bug fixes detailed at this post.
● Fire Emblem Heroes saw Special Heroes: Hostile Springs with Ryoma: Samurai at Ease, Sakura: Hot-Spring Healer, Elise: Bubbling Flower and Hinoka: Relaxed Warrior. Videos here.
● Super Mario Run saw the Weekend Spotlight: Heroines event with more chance to get items related to Princess Peach, Princess Daisy, Pauline, and Toadette from Remix 10′s Super Bonus Game.
● Super Smash Bros. Ultimate holds the title of being the best-selling launch month for any exclusive videogame in U.S. history with 3.6 million units sold.
● Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the second best-selling racing game of all time in the U.S. behind only Mario Kart Wii in lifetime dollar sales.
● Nintendo Switch is the best-selling hardware platform in both units and dollars in the U.S. over 2018 and outsold PS4 and XB1 combined in December.
● FuRyu Corporation applied for a HEROLAND trademark in Europe which is likely for a localisation of the Nintendo Switch/PlayStation 4 RPG WORK×WORK.
● Square Enix Co., Ltd. applied for both HD2D and HD-2D trademarks in Europe which is likely for OCTOPATH TRAVELER and future similar games.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. President Shuntaro Furukawa told the Sankei Shimbun that he is not thinking of a price cut for Nintendo Switch or a new model for now.
● Bandai Namco Entertainment announced a new videogame company Bandai Namco Sevens which will begin operations on 01 April 2019 with Takayuki Kaneko as President.
● Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown knock New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe off the top of the Japanese software charts, opening with 202,379.
● Nintendo of Europe’s full Indie Highlights presentation with many new Nintendo Switch announcements here.
● Watch Hisashi Nogami and Shinya Takahashi discuss the making of Splatoon in this video filmed for the Design/Play/Disrupt exhibition at the V&A in London, UK.
● The third and final episode of Yoiko (Game Center CX’s Shinya Arino and Masaru Hamaguchi) playing New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe here.
● Two new gameplay videos of Yokai Watch 4 (both from the World Hobby Fair) at this post.
● The full Tenta Live set performed by Tentacles／Off the Hook from Tokaigi (Game Party Japan) here.