Monday Update: Smash Turns 20, Kirby Wins Popularity Vote, New Gundam Game, Plus Much More!
Support us by shopping at japanesenintendo.com/shop
(use the code JPNINTENDO for $3 USD off)!
Nintendo All-Star! Dairantou Smash Brothers was released 20 years ago today. The game was localised several months later as Super Smash Bros. On a related note: Masahiro Sakurai revealed that Decidueye was almost chosen instead of Incineroar in the latest version of the game.
● In results from the ARMS Party Crash Bash tournament: Ninjara defeated Kid Cobra by 52%-48% and will face Ribbon Girl or Misango in the second round. Min Min, Springtron, Max Brass, Twintelle and Dr. Coyle are other second round participants.
● Impact Gameworks announced that the roguelike dungeon crawler Tangledeep will also release on the Japanese Switch eShop on 31 January. with price to be determined. Launch trailer posted here.
● Grasshopper Manufacture updated Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes to Ver.1.0.1 adding a New Game+ Mode, new bonus T-shirts for players who have beaten all bosses in Spicy Mode, and several bug fixes. Goichi Suda also told Nintendo DREAM that he wants Travis Touchdown to be a real videogame hero.
● In not really surprising news, Square Enix have confirmed they are working on Dragon Quest X Online Ver.4.5 although don’t wish to spoil any of the contents so we’ll have to wait and see!
● Happy Meal confirm that their Famicom-style adventure game Ise Shima Mystery Annai: Itsuwari no Kuro Shinju will not actually play on a Family Computer.
● New key artwork for Cat Quest II: The Lupus Empire from The Gentlebros here. The game is confirmed to feature two-player local co-op between cat and dog and releases later this year!
● Kirby Battle Royale (Kirby Battle Deluxe! in Japan) celebrated its first birthday over the weekend with this special artwork.
● Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp will see Fishing Tourney #10 begin tomorrow and requires a 16 MB in-app update. Teaser image of the rewards at this post.
● Fire Emblem Heroes will see Special Heroes: Hostile Springs on Wednesday (Tuesday night PT) with Ryoma: Samurai at Ease, Sakura: Hot-Spring Healer, Elise: Bubbling Flower and Hinoka: Relaxed Warrior. Introductory videos posted here. Special Hero Camilla: Steamy Secrets will also be available in the next Tempest Trials+ event.
● This week’s UK charts sees New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe still at number one in the charts beating off combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sales of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
● PQube Games announced they will be localising Arc System Works’ visual novel game World End Syndrome both physically and digitally for Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 this Spring.
● SOEDESCO announced they are teaming up with Krillbite Studio to bring the horror game Among the Sleep – Enhanced Edition to Nintendo Switch.
● Kirby was once again the most popular videogame character as voted for by the readers of Nintendo DREAM magazine followed by Pikachu and Mario. View the full top 20 along with an awesome hand-drawn Kirby by Masahiro Sakurai here.
● Also check out this month’s Nintendo DREAM Most Wanted with Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing) and the upcoming Pokémon RPG literally neck-and-neck here.
● Bandai Namco Entertainment announced SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays here with the official reveal in a few hours time. Platform(s) unknown). Please note the video has been taken down!
● Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown looks like being the number one game in Japan this week with 229 points on COMG!, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe received 107 points and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 64. Same top three positions at TSUTAYA and GEO.
● Nintendo Co., Ltd. stock went down by -0.32% today to close trading at 33,740.00.
● The Tales of Festival 2019 will be held on 15 and 16 June in Yokohama Arena.
● Teaser artwork from the upcoming Dragon Ball Z ‘Project Z’ action RPG that will be announced on 26-27 January.
● A ‘Nintendo Switch Koisuru ♥ Fuyu no Otome Game’ Storefront Experience Meeting will be held on 02 February at WonderGOO / SHINSEIDO, Akihibara with three titles (Kiniro no Corda Octave, Yunohana SpRING！ ～Mellow Times～ for Nintendo Switch and Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 6 DX) and this free postcard!
● A piano cover album Celeste Piano Collections will be available from 25 January. Listen to the track Prologue here.
● Sega Games applied for a プラネットツアーズ (Planet Tours) trademark in Japan including for “program for home video game machine”.
● All the footage from the Nagoya tournament of the Smash Ball Cup featuring National Elementary School students battling it out here.
● A new 30 second trailer for the upcoming live-action Detective Pikachu movie here.
● An awesome TV commercial for Zoids Wild: King of Blast here.
● A promo video for Robotics;Notes DaSH here.
● Another DLC introduction video for Fate/EXTELLA LINK has been added to this post.
● Another promo video for JFI Games’ Dusk Diver here.
● A Denjin ☆Gacha episode playing New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe here.
● A Sisilala TV episode playing Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes here.
● The second episode of the Dragalia Lost variety programme ‘Dragalia Janai Mon！’ here.
● And the latest two hour Arks Winter Challenge livestream for Phantasy Star Online 2 here.